What I have done so far: I've researched what my parents' cultures are. Then me and my mom brainstormed a couple of ideas and I decided that I wanted to make a box with spices from all of the countries that my ancestors came from. I searched all of the main spices of each country's cuisine.
- The Philippines has tamarind, ginger, sili.
- People in Spain use coriander, bay leaves, saffron, and paprika.
- Portugal has cinnamon, celery salt, paprika, and bay leaves.
- In Germany, they use caraway, bay leaves, juniper berries, and white pepper.
- Ireland they cook with thyme, rosemary, and sage.
- In Sweden, they use cardamom, saffron, all spice, ginger, and dill.
After we made our list, we shopped for all of the spices at Whole Foods. When we got home, I made the box for all of the spices out of a recycled shoe box.
Next: I need to fill the box with all of the spices and write my essay about my culture. I have to go to bed now.