Friday, November 1, 2013

Back to Reading Picture Books + The Rainbow Goblins {PiBoIdMo 2013)

Last month, when I chaperoned R's (6th grade) class to the Authors and Ideas Festival, one of the things that stuck in my mind: if you want to create writers, you need to foster readers. Makes perfect sense to me!

So, not only am I participating in PiBoIdMo 2013, I am going to go back to reading picture books...at least for this month. No, this wasn't my idea; it was a challenge put out by Tracey M. Cox. But I'll take it! These are not necessarily books that go along with my chosen focus this month - ideas about picture books that get kids to eat fruits and vegetables - but they are books that I enjoy or that my boys have enjoyed.

by Ul de Rico

The Rainbow Goblins was one of my favorite picture books as a child. I don't really remember why. I just remember being mesmerized by the paintings. The book went out of print. But, around the time that I became a mom for the first time, it came back. And since I couldn't get my mom to part with her copy; I snagged up three or four copies of the new version.

The goblins are twisted, diabolical, and downright creepy , but - hey! - they're the villains. The story is riveting and the illustrations vibrant. As the seven goblins prey on rainbows, drinking in the colors till their bellies almost pop, the roots of trees and flowers overhead and hatch a plan to thwart the goblins' hunt. Spoiler alert: the goblins do not catch the rainbow and we have the teleological reason why rainbows never touch the ground.

If you haven't read this book, you should!

No comments:

Post a Comment